Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Community Documentation Using Wimpy Point

Collapse
Posted by Tom Mizukami on
With a couple of minor hacks (ok, I don't know how minor) I think wimpy point would be a great tool for collaborative documentation. As I mentioned above we would need to be able to add all registered users as collaborators on a presentation and incorporate the HTML for printing as on the aD site.

The SGML and/or XML output is an interesting idea. I not sure about the SDM because you can't view the SDM entries in-line with the documentation. I was suggesting using and distributing the WP documentation in place of the current static html not in parallel.

Sam is right in that docs SHOULD be dynamic, however, it has been my experience that they decay because they are not dynamic enough. Somebody loses entheusiasm (not Roberto) or gets too busy and the docs fall behind the curve. This was certainly the case with some of the aD docs not keeping up with file locations, Oracle version, etc.

It only took me a few minutes to cut and paste Roberto's html into WP. For very little effort we can add a collaborative element to our documentation in what I think is the most usable form; comments on an item directly below the item.