Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to mysql passes the acid test?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
"I actually wasn't trying to start a flame war at all. I was relating what I had read in the mysql mailing list regarding Innodb and wanted a true, unbiased answer."

That's exactly what you got. The truth hurts sometimes. I've used MySQL before, and can tell that my responses are not biased since I have no involvement with neither companies (MySQL and GreatBridge).

"Pointing me to a URL over a year old does not really answer the question of whether the new database format is any good or not."

The URL was not the only thing in one of my posts (I assume you are referring to the why-not-mysql URL). And almost everything that is in that article applies to MySQL still. Though I'd agree that it doesn't directly answer your InnoDB question. But my other posts do.

"For the application that I am working on which is mostly reporting, mysql is actually ok (execept for adding columns which can take a while)."

Notice that I said that there are plenty of applications where MySQL is adequate.

"Multi-version concurrency control, for my app really has no value."

So why are you asking about InnoDB? If it has no value for your app, then you shouldn't need to worry about it.

"And oh, I was thinking of putting openacs on the same machine..."

Cool.I should come easier on MySQL inquiries. But I've seen them so many times, for the same questions, that it's hard. But I'll try.