Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to mysql passes the acid test?

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
oh for crissakesoutload already, can we please stop with the mysql flames? it does nothing for anybody. personally, i can't wait for the day that mysql is adequate for OpenACS because then we can tap into a whole slew of open source developers that would be eager to use a toolkit like this ours.

everybody here knows the community's attitude about mysql. so their developers lie and they don't know what they're talking about. maybe they finally got a clue. i checked and that's not quite a crime. in the grand scheme of things, they have neither soiled our good names
nor insulted our families (and beleive me, i have a very lenient scale for determining whether someone's done such a thing.)

there are probably a lot of people coming to the site with very sincere hopes of using it to build sites. they already know apache, mysql and perl and would like to use those skills. but they get here and they find out they need to learn AOLserver, PG and Tcl. Immediately they're probably intimidated by the necessity of learning three new tools. And they're probably more intimidated by seeing these fanatics crap all over one of their favorite tools, MySQL.

I love seeing Apache made available for these people as well as our intent to support other RDBMS's, which we are doing and will be absolutely great. If MySQL ever gets it's act together I think we would jump at the chance of folding it in.

so why do we keep looking like assholes whenever someone asks whether mysql is finally good enough?

talli