Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to mysql passes the acid test?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
everybody here knows the community's attitude about mysql. so their developers lie and they don't know what they're talking about. maybe they finally got a clue. i checked and that's not quite a crime. in the grand scheme of things, they have neither soiled our good names nor insulted our families (and beleive me, i have a very lenient scale for determining whether someone's done such a thing.)
Actually, they have caused a lot of harm. They've misled countless people, people too lazy to research database issues on their own, true enough, but that doesn't exonerate Monte (in particular) in my book.

I'm *glad* they're yielding to pressure and adding two backends that have ACID attributes. That's what they've done, though, they've yielded to pressure. This has been quite clear from some their ramblings.

Without that pressure - and personally I think the "Why Not MySQL?" flamefest here at openacs.org was a measurably important part of the awakening that led to that pressure - MySQL would still be the same old MySQL.

Now that they've yielded on one of their early "principles" (you never need ACIDity) maybe a few more sticks and stones will force them to yield on some of their other misrepresentations of reality.

Lying's not a crime, at least not in all contexts. Lying about a product is actionable in some contexts, come to thing about it.

Crime or not, I was raised to believe that lying is reprehensible...