Forum OpenACS Q&A: categorization with bboard

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I want to add a category for a bboard-topic. There is only one link to
admin-edit-categories.tcl from admin-home.tcl and if I go there it
says "no categories defined" - that's true I have not defined any yet.

Either I am very tired today, very dump or this part of bboard is not
intuitive at all...

Could someone give me a hint?

I am using the 3.2.5 code of bboard.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Answer 3. There is no way to add a catergory linked from the admin pages.

Go to a specific bboard, then click on Administer.

Click on All the Questions.

Select a Question.

Go to the Category drop-down box and open it up. Pick Define New
Category and click Select Category.

This is the add a a category page.

/bboard/admin-q-and-a-prompt-for-new-category.tcl?msg_id=

Also you could allow users to create new categories and post a
question and add the category then.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
This is a truly terrible example of a user interface, and would've been fixed long ago except for the fact that with 3.x we had made the decision to stick with aD-derived code.

We no longer have to do that, if someone wants to add a clean and simple way to add a category from the bboard admin page go for it and submit your new pages and patches to Roberto.

Just remember that our major effort should be poured into 4x...this UI problem is so gross it demands a fix, but let's not get started with major 3.2 bboard redevelopment...

Collapse
Posted by Scott Mc Williams on
Don,

How can we make sure that these kinds of UI abominations don't make it over to 4.x? Is there something that I could help with seeing as how I'm not a programmer type, but I am a power-user and UI type?

David...I too saw that the categorization thing was deeply hidden. In fact, on my copy of 3.2.4 it was not functional. I had to kludge it together. But, since I'm the only one using the admin pages it worked for me. I'll go through and see if that code might not be re-usable once I get a 3.2.5 running.

Thanks!

Scott

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The best way someone who's not helping with the porting effort can help is to test and try out the package thoroughly with an eye towards  bone-headed UI issues.  Depending on how boneheaded things are, you could post as a bug in the SDM or as a thread for wider discussion in our OpenACS 4 design forum.

If you poke around there you'll see we've done some of this.  In fact,  the UI in one module - the Content Management System - is deemed so poor that we've opened a forum explicitly to discuss the issues.  That forum's a bit dead at the moment due to our nose-to-the-grindstone efforts on OpenACS 4, but hopefully this makes it clear to you that we're serious.

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Hello to the two lonely contenders on this thread (and to everybody else),

I have written some little code that shows you on admin-home.tcl what categories belong to this topic_id and points you to a rewritten admin-q-and-a-prompt-for-new-category.tcl if you want to add more. I am at work at the moment so I might post it this afternoon (GMT + 1)...