Forum OpenACS Development: Suggestions for xmlrpc for openacs4

Collapse
Posted by hafeez bana on
G'Day,

I have just recovered from an illness and thought I would begin the port of the xmlrpc module to openacs4.

As the present functionality of the module stands (I don't even know whether it is module) it parses an xmlrpc call string, creating the relevant data structures, resolves the method name and calls the method. In addition to that I declared a proc xmlrpc_proc - this is similar to proc_doc/ad_proc etc. In that it hides a lot of the detail of aliasing arguments etc so that writing a xmlrpc function is almost like writing a standard tcl proc.

However Rob and Ben both suggested that I try to integrate it tighter with the ACS. I am not exactly sure how to do this? At the top of my head I could add options to xmlrpc_proc such that a proc checks that you are logged in or not and automatically checks for the first argument being a session object. Also I could implement a methodname resolution framework that would allow a standard function in the acs (that accepts strings and lists) to be called.

Is there anything else? Any suggestions.

Cheers, Hafeez

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Somehow there needs to be an API so other modules can call and accept XML-RPC calls. There should be a way for a module to register and services it can deliver via XML-RPC so the XML-RPC handler knows what to call when it receives a request.

It should also be possible to abstract this so that the same API can be used for SOAP procedure calls if that feature were to be added.

I am willing to help test and work on this if you need. Eventually I want to work on XML-RPC interface for the CMS.

Also, we should work out a standard set of helper procs for ns-xml so they can be used consistently throughout ACS.