Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Easier to install

Collapse
19: Re: Easier to install (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Maybe I'm missing the point, but shouldn't the installation of daemontools be something the OpenACS package provides, if not already there. Seriously, we already have to do so many steps in a package to get OpenACS to run, adding the lines to install daemontools on the way if not already installed should not be a showstopper, should it ?

I'm more eager to see us adopt the installation of additional packages out of the APM. If we have a package provided by Vienna university, there is most definitely the need to install XOTcl. If we enable the spellchecker, we need aspell. If we install Jabber, we need the Jabber package installed. If we want to make good use of webmail, we need TCLLib (which we should add to the default installation anyway, but this is a different issue / TIP), Photo Album -> ImageMagick, Bounce Management -> Change in Postfix configuration (and there the list is not finished). That's why we should have the ability to do these kind of things on installation with the APM and the APM should inform the user about it (this is the reason why the apm-post-install approach, though working, is not a good one).

On the other hand, my eagerness does not go as far as really implementing this.... :).