Forum OpenACS Development: Response to OpenACS 4.1 port update/status

Collapse
Posted by Robin Felix on
In response to Erik's porting question:

There are people who eagerly climb the mountain "because it's there." There are others who just climb the mountain because they happen to live on the mountain.

The first group built OpenACS and are ready for the next challenge: 4.1. God bless you all for the trail you've blazed for the rest of us and success in your future endeavors.

The second group, including me, generally support a large, existing user base and installation. They will continue to work in 3.x.x and need a darn good reason before they move, because even a small move such as that from 3.2.4 to 3.2.5 becomes tremendously more complicated when there is a service-level to maintain. I loaded up ACS 4.0 (TCL, Oracle) on a test machine to check it out; I saw reduced functionality in several areas, notably in the delegation of group administration.

Bottom Line: There will continue to be a market for the 3.x variants until 4.x surpasses its functionality, regardless of its elegance in design. Where time is better spent is a matter of perspective.

Sub-Bottom Line: I will continue to submit trouble reports and suggested fixes for the benefit of my neighbors on the mountain, and I look forward to any increased 3.x functionality (photodb-lite, anyone?). 😉