Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: A view questions about .LRN

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hello Patricia, let me answer on behalf of Peter. currently it has not been decided which packages will make up the CORE of .LRN, but all the package mentioned are available using installation functionality over the web (aka: Install from repository). For creation of content in the various packages you sometimes have the option to make use of the WYSIWYMG editor, depending on the version of the package you use (e.g. there is a version of forums out used by a couple of institutions that supports this editor, while the stock version does not). You can upload any type of document you like using the file-storage system, either through the web or using WebDAV. Most of the time the mime type is correctly identified.

Instructors can edit content directly. They can do this in a couple of ways. First of all they have the possibility to create their own portlet page within .LRN, allowing them to describe what the course is all about. Furthermore, using e.g. LORSM, they could add and edit a IMS CP / SCORM based course.

There are demo courses, even in German. As they run of my private server at the moment, the login information is not publicly available, but I will send you (and anyone else interested) login information seperately.

The installation at the moment is not for total amateurs, but we do have a windows installer available (sadly only for .LRN 2.0.3). Last but not least there are a couple of Knoppix CDs available, which you can also use to test out the system (https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=202430)

The first step once the company is created besides raising the hype is to build up a German .LRN community and collaboratively work on the manuals. Obviously one of the first things to happen would be a German support forum.

At the moment .LRN has a simple survey system. Furthermore a new effort has been started to create a very flexible assessment system, that would support templates for various types of questions. Last but not least the is a third variant, based on an enhanced version of survey, that is being used in the USA by some installations.

As you might be aware, the Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien is using .LRN as well, so you might be able to contact some people there as well, if you need references from austrian institutions for your evaluation.