Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Why not have an open cvs repository ?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
What is wrong with your e-mailing the package owner if you fix a problem?  You're suggesting that package owners take the time to routinely scan a second repository just in case someone might've fixed a bug for them.  What a waste of time!  You're suggesting that other people spend more time monitoring possible fixes you might make rather  than have you take the time to write a simple e-mail message.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: COMMUNICATION is the key to  making a project like this succeed.

If you're making local bug fixes and not informing one of your fellow OpenACS 4 porters, then you're not communicating.

It's MUCH more efficient for YOU to e-mail a package maintainer in a case like this rather than expect everyone else to be checking a second repository for bug fixes, figuring out how to merge them with their own work (which undoubtably will have progressed in the interim since they weren't informed that there'd been a bug fix) etc etc etc.

Domingo ... with all due respect I get the impression you want freedom  to work on the project without accepting the responsibility of communication.  For instance, you still haven't e-mailed me as to whether or not you're interested in finishing porting some of the packages you started on a couple of weeks ago.  I've asked you a couple of times.  Check the status page, there are several slots there  with "DomingoA?" because I don't know if you're actually planning to work on these or not.

You need to COMMUNICATE.  It's not about beaurocracy, it's about working together as a team.