Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Why not have an open cvs repository ?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Thanks, Domingo, I'm sure that the package owners will appreciate getting direct e-mail.

In the case of general comments, I know that the package owner committed some partial changes because he's leaving for Memorial Day weekend.  So I don't know if you found actual problems or just ran into something he hasn't finished yet.  By e-mailing him, you'll find out quickly enough (except he may not have e-mail access while on his short holiday!)

I haven't asked that people refrain from committing changes to modules  that aren't complete, i.e. thus far we don't have the requirement that package porters not break the existing non-core install while they're working.  I think that's reasonable.  Any package marked "ported" should certainly install without error (and work).  Any package marked "datamodel" should be able to install both its Oracle and Postgres datamodles, but .xql files may be incomplete.

Any package marked "ported" should work for both PG and Oracle, though  I've been marking some packages "ported" that still have missing pieces - with a note in the table saying that it's not quite done.

I think this is working well for now.

As soon as most or perhaps all packages have made it through the initial porting stage, I think we'll want to tighten up requirements for committing.  In other words, if a package is ported and installing/running fine for PG/Oracle we'll want to avoid intentional commits of new features/bug fixes that break it.

The core is now in that state - if acs-core breaks during a clean install under Oracle or PG it is certainly now a bug.

But only the core's in that state, so I'm not particular concerned about ports-in-progress that don't install at the moment.