Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: LRN Application Status Discussion - File Storage

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
I've just sorted a few dozen files in a class where students had not followed consistent naming conventions, where a half dozen files are being added each week, and where I faced a basic problem of organizing group work. I created some directories and, to move things around, ended up doing a lot of clicking and dreaming of drag-and-drop, or at least of selecting bunches of files and then making one move. Is drag-and-drop difficult to do with openacs? Are there other simply sorting principles/methods we might consider?

I also think notifications are the cat's meow, and I'm wondering if others think adding a notification feature to the file storage makes sense: that when you add a file you are given a choice to post a notice in an existing forum, for example, so you don't have to go to all the trouble of copying the url, then going into the forum and building a link. I also like this idea as it suggests further integration of existing communications functionality, and specifically, with notifications, the encouragement of timely responses as a conversation moves forward.