because their system gets overwhelmed and db connections are not
available or slow.

I am guessing that some combination of in-memory caching and
management of db handles will make it possible to handle this
load. But I am curious if anyone has any experience with what
the maximum load possible is, in requests per second, for a 1 GHZ
Pentium with 512 MB of RAM , for fetching a database-backed page with
one or two modestly complex queries.

The current system's problem is probably caused by mysql's row locking. Simply switching to a versioning-based database should make things much better.

As about maximum load possible, I have one AOLserver running a custom Tcl script as the request processor. Each hit requires 2 db queries against a table with 500000 rows in it, plus incrementing about 5 nsv variables (which implies alot of locks taken). The thing does an average of 31 hits/second, with peaks jumping over 50/second. The db hit average is around 15/second, much lower than the expected 62/second, since the script uses caching (nscache).

I thought mysql used page locking? Which causes more conflicts than row locking. PostgreSQL is slower again tho, isn't it? The lack of transactions means mysql can be very fast, but it has a price!

My recommendation would be to move to Postgre for the ACID compliancy, which will save you headaches even if it's a bit slower, and limit the number of people who can access the db-driven pages at any one time - each load of the schedule page could check the current database loading, and if it's too high, reroute to a static "try again in a few minutes" page.

NB: I haven't used either database very much myself, or even installed OpenACS yet, so don't ask me how to implement that 😊

seth, first time here, huh?

openacs *only* uses postgres because of ACID-ity. I would suggest some RTFM-ing. But welcome! It's nice to see that you're here and willing to contribute!

talli

Yep, I'm new. But actually my mistake was not reading the subject line properly, rather than not doing enough RTFM - I was thinking it was a general question about "database-backed pages" rather than an OpenACS specific question. Whoops 😊

I also note from doing a bit more reading that mySQL has come along a bit since I last looked at it. Transactions, no less! Of a sort, anyway. Interesting.