Forum .LRN Q&A: debian package installation problems - beta version

I would like to report a few minor problems with your beta debian package (which I could solve)
and a major one (for which I have no clue):
1. At the end of the installation when a dialog box  asks for setting  security settings for the database user in the postgres
pg_hba.conf configuration file the command:
su -  postgres -s /bin/sh -c "createlang plpgsql dotlrn"
fails because the dotlrn database was not created.
        I solved the problem issuing the command: su - postgres createdb dotlrn
2. In the same dialog box the command to "restart the .LRN  server with the following command    /etc/init.d/dotlrn  restart "
fails because there are a few errors in the /etc/init.d/dotlrn script :
the DAEMON variable is incorrect, it should be: DAEMON=/usr/sbin/aolserver4-nsd (instead of /usr/sbin/nsd);
the ADDRESS and PORT variables do not reflect previous user settings and remain at the standard localhost and 80 values
After these corrections the aolserver is started OK and the OpenACS browser based installation proceeds OK.

The unsolved problem:
At the end of the browser based OpenACS installation (when lots of database operations are performed)
and the "Installation finished" message is issued, the following message states that:
"The server has been shutdown. Normally  it should come back by itself.... etc":
the server is shutdown: true; but it does not come back by itself and no errors appear in the log.
After issuing the command  /etc/init.d/dotlrn  restart, a few aolserver process instances do appear in the process list
but the browser cannot connect to the aolserver so the last message that says
click here (here is http://127.0.0.1:8000/dotlrn) will lead to an error trying to access the aolserver
(I have run all the tests locally to make sure there was no network interference)

On the other hand, if  you start the standard aolserver issuing: /etc/init.d/aolserver4 start
the browser will  load the standard aolserver page: "Welcome to your New Home in Cyberspace"

Collapse
Posted by Otto Solares on
I'll fix 1. & 2. ASAP.

With the unsolved problem I must say that the OpenACS installer assumes people is using daemontools so when the installer shutdown the server it will come up automatically (which is a function of daemontools).  In the debian dotlrn package we don't use daemontools so I'll modify the installer to reflect the fact that people must manually start the server again.

/etc/init.d/aolserver4 is the init script from the aolserver4 package and may collide with the dotlrn one, I'll figure out a solution or warn the user about it.

I'll post a revised version today, thank you for the support.