Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to The future of mod_nsd and other web server support

This is an absolutely fabulous idea. I think that FastCGI has been very underrated in its potential. Its too bad there's no longer any linked-in support for FastCGI on iPlanet or IIS since Fast Engines was bought out by Adero. See www.fastcgi.com for the sad story. Nonetheless, you can still use the cgi-fcgi program that comes with the FastCGI development kit at www.fastcgi.com if you really want to use those web servers. The author claims that there's very little performance overhead in this configuration but I couldn't find any performance numbers.

Anyway, being able to host an OpenACS site at an ISP running Apache will greatly reduce costs for some(including me) and probably lower the barrier to acceptance of OpenACS too. Trying to get an ISP to compile in a module like mod_nsd into a shared Apache server is an uphill battle in my experience. Getting an ISP to allow a FastCGI program to run will probably be a much easier task.