Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Source and business thoughts

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Malte,
I did not have the time to read all your documentation completely, but I definetely will.
I think is in Innovation Management, Strategies implementation and profits by Allan Afuah that they say that virtual organizations don't get along very well with R&D companies. But this (open source) might be the opposite! Anyway, I think that several of the things you mention are important.
Some of these things should be public and some should be shared by those that contribute or are members of a network (I am talking only about commercial information)
I believe that openforce network has this kind of thing in mind, although your idea of a virtual organization seems to go much further.
There seem to be two different areas of work: technical and commercial. How are they separated? or does people think they should go together?
I would add some "netiquette",some of which is already in place, some might need more definition:
1. Making all code GPL, unless the client explicitly requires us not to (Done)
2. Fair play when tendering for a project. Essential if you are going to work with your competitors in everyday community life. (Done?)
3. No price dumping. So if you are at Univ. you should try not to take on a project that someone else in the community might be getting paid for.
I am sure you have though about these things often, and you might have your own analysis/rules. I would like to hear them. I am new to the openACS project, I would particularly like to hear from the core team and openforce network people.