Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to A little security HOWTO for RH 6.2 and 7.0...

Here are a few more links on security issues

I was able to recompile the kernel, but I do have a few questions about some warnings I got as well as some crashes I have experienced since, if anyone has any ideas.

This is the CFLAGS I finally used:CFLAGS = -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -03 -funroll-loops -ffast-math -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions

1. I learned after much trial & error that the CFLAG '-malign-double' would not run on my PIII. It compiles, but on boot up, machine crashes with pointer error. The error is something like this: SCSI::resize_dma_pool Warning dma_sectors=0,wanted 96, scaling Warning, not enough memory, pool not expanded, unable to handle kernel NULL POINTER
  2. I am now suspicious that the Netscape freezes I am occasionally experiencing are due to the new kernel
  3. While compiling I notice a few warnings such as "using '%eax instead of '%ax' due to 'l' suffix "
  4. What happens if you don't put the new CFLAGS options in your /etc/profile?
  5. What CFLAG options should one use to insure the greatest stability? I have not been able to find a description of what each setting does.