Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Source and business thoughts

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
My impressions is that people that first understand the OS model, is people who understand the concept of sharing. This concept is very deeply related to the work of non-profits, so they are the first where an OS "sales" person goes (e.g. EDF).
Universities, are not as good understanding the sharing concepts (particularly at higher management) as non profits, but they are not the worts (and is where most of us have contacts). So they are the second place where an OS goes (e.g. Caltec, Sloan,... although maybe for different reasons). I believe this second place is shared with small companies, that take risks.
A third place would be for small companies that can not afford expensive solutions (I put it third for obvious reasons).
A fourth place is for Big companies.

Michael: From where I sit, I see OpenACS development shops increasingly competing against each other for the same jobs. The community as a whole is not being pro-active about expanding the pool of potential customers rather than fighting over the handful who find their way here on their own.
Which of the above levels (please comment on them as well) is the community targeting?