Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Source and business thoughts

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hello Talli,

<P>I like your idea about an operating foundation for the OpenACS, though I think this might take some time as it is probably to early now, but we should keep it in mind.

<P>As for the steering comitee, well yes, sure, definitively. What would be the main tasks:
<ul>
<li>Coordinate marketing activities of the community:<ul>
<li>Maintain a list of events, related to OpenACS
<li>Provide speakers with material for conferences
<li>Creation of an elevator pitch for OpenACS 😉
<li>Creation of a two pager about OpenACS and its functionality
<li>Collection and distribution of case studies
<li>Collection and distribution of articles around OpenACS and other things (something like ASJ. And NO, this is not meant as an offense toward AD, but would open their base to a larger audience)
<li>Support with/for the press</ul>
<li>Coordination of the development<ul>
<li>Keeping track of who is working on what
<li>Keeping a list of suggested release dates {might come in handy for marketing reasons}
<li>Tracking a wish list
<li>Distribution of OpenACS and related packages (read: RPM for RH {e.g postgres},SuSE {e.g Oracle})</ul>
<li>Run a plattform for virtual corporations:
<ul><li>Ressource exchange (as in, I've got a client, but not enough manpower, anyone able to help)
<li>Collection of legal ressources (list of lawyers, contracts,...)
</ul>
<li>Setting up an foundation (in the future, I like Talli's idea)
<li>Keeping track of competitors and competitive technologies:<ul>
<li>List of companies people of the community have competed with and the outcome
<li>List of technologies OpenACS was compared to by potential clients. Writing of comparisons for these technologies for later "pitches"</ul>
<li>Running OpenACS website:<ul>
<li>Coordinate with the server provider (thanks AD, hopefully for a long time)
<li>Operate a demo server as David suggested. Might be the same as openacs.org.</ul>
<li>Structure the bboard information in e.g. articles, FAQ.</ul>
<p>
That are just the things which jumped into my mind, probably there are a lot more. The most important jobs (as in development) are already been done outstandingly well. I'd volunteer to keep a list of todo's and people willing to contribute for the non development related issues.