Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Source and business thoughts

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Ben,
You read my mind! even for the "Powred by.."
I just finished writing the first "white paper" explaining openACES functionalities (not there yet,but what we would have when ACES is ported). This document will change since the screen captures are "borrowed" from aD site...
Besides the paper I been thinking about how this kind of documentation could help. I will give it a try:
Goals
  • Unifying marketing efforts. I agree with Ben, competition between consultants is good, but it would be good that we align marketing efforts.
  • Growing the community. Non tech documentation can help create awarenes and grow the community
  • Supporting updates/improvements of marketing material, just as collaboration helps improve source code.
  • Preserving IP of "pitchers" as we do with IP of coders
  • Viral licensing. I would like to have something like GPL but I couldn't figure out how. It would be a great thing to be able to do open source does to code but on non-tech documentation. I might be very naif on this but ....

Definitions To understand the goals it might be usefull to define some "objects"
  • Toolkit (is the openACS itself "powered by..." phrase)
  • Product (e.g. calendar, bboard,..)
  • Solution = a bunch of products put together with a business idea and customized for a prospect/client by a group of consultants
  • "coder" = who wrote the code or maintains it for a module
  • "pitcher" who wrote the marketing material, of course there could be many for each product
My idea would be that people can for each prospect put together these kind of "brochures" for each product, together with their EOI (expresion of interest)...
I also added a template so we can start creating that "corporate image" we are taking about. Any improvements/comments will be appreciated