Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Some aspects concerning using OpenACS in business

- Is it better to have a dedicated server for each project/company or can we use e.g. 1 server for 3 OpenAcs-instances?
As with everything, you can safely say 'it depends on the project'. Depending on the horse-power you buy, you are probably better off buying one really fast machine (i.e. with lots of RAM and a good SCSI disks) and running all sites from that machine (and its backup). That way all sites benefit from the heavier machine. I'd venture to guess that any single site will not be maxing out the machine, so running the sites from one machine will give a much better peak performance - more bang for your guilder.

The 1Ghz Athlon you should be able to run at least 4 OpenACS instances without a running a sweat. I don't have exact figures for about loads, but I would not worry too much. If the load gets too high, just migrate one or more instances to another machine (which is simple).

- Which OpenAcs version?
3.2.5 if you want to go live now, 4.x if you can endure a bit of patience.

- Server security
Don't fret too much on it. Avoid things like BIND (8.x requires root priviliges use tinydns or something, better yet, don't run your DNS on your webserver), telnet (use ssh), rsh. Avoid sendmail, use qmail. My personal server runs rh6.2 as a basis, all public services are non standard (for RH), so none of the rh-script-kiddie exploits work (I see five of those 'attacks' every day). If you want to defend agains professionals, hire a full time security guy/monitoring.

- SSL and AOLserver
See my documents as well at http://pascal.scheffers.net/openacs/ it may help.

Give the P133 a bit more RAM and you will see it perform much, much better. My K6-400 has 256MB RAM and is very responsive with three OpenACS instances.