Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Source and business thoughts - Part 2

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Although I still have to discuss this idea with my business partners, Hans and Renny, I thnk it might be an idea to create our owm open ACS business cases, not from a design point of view, but from a users angle. We recently installed openACS and the first impression we got was an overwhelming experience. Right now it seems everyone for hinmself, and eveb going over the infdo on ACS and Phillips guide to web publishing there still is one major problem. User friendly information. we are in the process of educating a growing community of corporate secretaries on how to implement on-line tools in their dayly work. They come to Klessebes for simple answers to major problems. We know we can solve many issuese using OenAcs, but lack the insight right now as we are in the learning curve ourselve.

Effectively we have a great test team of non-merds, but potential users of OpenAcs that would greatly benefit from a more down to earth presnetation. We are allready using OpenACS to automate a major recruitment company in Europe, and will be using it to supplement a cltural project sponsored by the Dutch government., apart from a number of other projects, including a new transaction and banking system for the travel industry. What about using our experiences to create a currculem that can be used by the whole openacs group, maybe per module, att he same time a dding new sollutions based on the feedback we receive from our users? Personally I volonteer make a start creating the documentation. Guys, we are a nonline community, and seem to use only a small portion of what OpenACS has to offer to make a community work. One thing i have learned over the past few months as a moderator for the secretaries is a bit of fun and interaction and couple of people strandby to answer questions , instead of postings on on a bb. Right now I a m using http://community.chatspace.com/go.asp?server=/107-0120-168 but I a sure we can rig up something similar ( possibly better) ourselves. Mind you the sounds and icons are the major features. Not the command and control tools. So..lets get talking... instead of posting Ben Koot