Forum OpenACS Q&A: Manuals Module for OpenACS V3

Collapse
Posted by Robin Felix on
In the WIKI discussion, Tom Jackson mentioned a "Manuals Module" for ACS with a link to negeen.com. This is the only reference I can find to this module, either here or at ArsDigita.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this module, who built it, for which version of ACS/OpenACS, or where the full version might be available?

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

What more do you need?

The author chimed in explaining that the one page doc was all that was available.

It is a fairly small module, which is for ACS 3.x. It should still be available from the aD website, but I haven't looked.

Maybe I should get more info on this.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Not only is it fairly small, it's crappy too. I have been trying to advocate a more technical approach to writing docs that is more DB backed. Hopefully, we'll be able to integrate this thought into the new openacs.org site.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

What are your thoughts? I certainly agree that this module isn't based on the best technology for writing documentation. It was a lot easier to install HTMLDoc than to get jade, docbook, sgml etc. installed and working. Whatever solution we go for, something easy to install has to come out of it. Writing documentation shouldn't be an exercise in installing arcane tools like it is with linuxdoc.

Collapse
Hey Tom, I outlined some thoughts in Jerry's post here (https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00025b&topic_id=11&topic=OpenACS) but the basic idea is to have a standard way of writing documentation so that it can be made available in a number of different ways. For instance:

* It would be nice have an executive summary written that is understandable to both techies and non-techies. This summary should be reasonably full and explain the purpose of the module, how it was written and what packages it uses. This would be a very tough thing to do because it should be understandable for anyone that comes to it. But once this is done everything else is ready.
* There should be instructions on how to install a new package, even if it's a brain dead procedure. There will probably be instances that are non-trivial and will require a little bit of handholding.
* There should be a full and complete technical discussion of the module.
* There should be a list of features.
* It should be reasonably integrated with SDM (long term project).
* There should be a discussion of future future features that will be included.
* As is currently (or at least in 3.X) the norm, the data model should be in a separate file from the exec summary, the full discussion and everything else. In fact, I think that each of these sections should be separated so that you could group all the exec summaries, or all the data models, or all the tech discussions in a single PDF or something for download.

I think that I'm basically proposing that we specify a data model or even a very lightweight module for just writing documentation. We have written a cool tool that will let us do this reasonably easily for openacs.org.

This may seem like overkill, but I think that documentation is critically important so having a standard way of organizing it would be very helpful. This could be specific to the openacs.org site, or it could be a module that anyone could use for their own purposes.

Does this make sense?

talli

Collapse
Posted by Robin Felix on
What I was hoping for was a complete copy of the module, or experiences of those who have used it.  The .tgz file is missing the .sql code, which I had to dig up elsewhere, and the /admin/manuals code is also not present.  There may be other items missing as well, the module is not available in any obvious place on the ArsDigita site, and the versioning doesn't indicate which ACS version it was written for.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Talli,

Your thinking is great, but wouldn't a documentation template do that for us? Plus, there's the issue of exporting the document to different formats (if done in HTML, HTMLDOC does a nice job of generating PDFs).

I agree that writing in DocBook can be daunting, but at least in Debian, getting the tools to work right was not very hard. One apt-get and that was it. Okay, maybe 2 (I installed psgml for Emacs).

The only other thing I had to do was to glance through the LDP-Author-Guide-HOWTO and find their stylesheet, and use it. Following their instructions wasn't hard.

Then psgml does the rest of the job much easier. The cool thing about using DocBook (that I know of) is that it generates the indices, links, and is exportable to different formats through Jade.

Another option that can help is using LyX. It'll generate DocBook. I wrote the initial OpenACS docs using LyX and it served me quite well. I later switched to Emacs+psgml for the added flexibility.

What we have to get here is people that are willing to mess with the system/whatever and write about it.

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Robin,

I believe the manuals module was written for ACS 3.4.x before the advent of ACS Packages. So, to get it, you have to download the full ACS 3.4.10 package.

Once you download that, the datamodel file will be in /www/doc/sql/manuals.sql and the rest of the code is in /www/manuals

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Vinod, thanks for the link.

Roberto, it sounds like you had a much better experience using installing DocBook than I. I don't even remember what I had to do to get it installed.

Whether the simple Manuals module is used as a starting point, or DocBook, we need a howto linking to the software that has to be used. I don't think we can assume everyone will switch to Debian. However, my thought is that we can get it setup and working so that it can be used over the web by anyone, like the Manuals module.

Does anyone have a good Howto on installing DocBook/Jade? (Maybe my unread copy of O'Reilly's _DocBook.._).

Collapse
Roberto,

I started studying Docbook on your word. If you think that it would achieve what I am suggesting, than I'm willing to accept it as so. However, on my initial study it seems that Docbook provides an appropriate scheme for presenting content specific to software documention but doesn't necessarily provide a way for dynamically arranging sections.

Am I wrong? I'm totally willing to give up my campaign if everything I'm talking about has been solved in Docbook.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Please explain "dynamically arranging sections".

Oh, I'm not saying that DocBook is the solution to all the documentation woes (nor I am an expert on the subject), but it seems that a good chunk of people that know what they are talking about are using it for very large amounts of documentation. And, although it is excellent for software documentation, it certainly can be used very well for other purposes.

To get it installed in Red Hat (and its derivatives) it should be pretty simple too. The hardest part (it was for me) is using the right catalogs/stylesheet.

The nice things about DocBook is that a) it frees the writer from worrying about presentation (letting him/her fous on content), b) there are lots of tools to work with it, c) exportable to several formats.

Oft times I've gone to the PostgreSQL documentation source looking for "how did they do that" and found some great answers.

Some good links are:

• http://developer.arsdigita.com/doc/docbook-primer.html
  • http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/
  • Collapse
    OK, I'm convinced. Ignore my exhortations.

talli