Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Redesign of OpenACS.org - New Features

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hey guys,
<p>
As a protection of the developers that will be working on the site, I would like to ask that we approach this discussion not as a discussion of features in pacakges but of features on a site.
<p>
IOW, requests for how the bboard package operates are important and will be logged (Luke has almost finished the bboard port with just a bit of testing still required -- I think he's almost ready to announce it in fact). We'll do our best to accomplish whatever can be done within a reasonable amount of time.
<p>
However, it should be remembered that this will only be the first implementation of the new openacs.org based on openacs4. Furthermore, we'll be pushing the limits of dogfooding by seeing how a high traffic production site will run on this code (which promises to kick ass, but still). So I think we'll be focusing on implementing the functionality that exists and for us, and the community, to fold in the more advanced features in future development.
<p>
I suggest that for this version of openacs.org we discuss features as areas of the site need to be fleshed out or added, for instance:
<p>
* Better news coverage<br>
* Better access to documentation<br>
* More clear introduction to OpenACS<br>
* More access to developer resources<br>
* And so on
<p>
Sorry to try and cut off a very interesting discussion, but I think it's important to focus the discussion on features and goals that can be achieved within the limits of the current system.
<p>
talli