Forum OpenACS Development: Response to PostgreSQL 7.1 functions can take more than 16 parameters

Well...sorry, been there, done that.  Asking the PG group to increase the default value was on the first list of stuff Ben and I put together for OpenACS 4.x when we met in aD's offices to discuss this project many, many months ago.

The default in PG hasn't changed, as you can see.

As far as asking folks to change it and compile their own PG, we did that in PG 6.5 and 7.0 in order to get blksize - and therefore maxiumum bboard post lengths etc - up to a reasonable figure.

But that's not necessary in PG 7.1, and we're now seeing more work in the way of pre-canned distributions with default values being installed on users machines.  I think the argument against forcing a recompile for folks to use OpenACS has grown, not shrunk, since our first 3.x release.

It's unfortunate.  I personally have a hard time believing that increasing the default value to 32 params/max colums to index would cause serious user problems in today's world of big PC's being sold for relatively small amounts of money.

But thus far the PG folk don't see it this way.  Ironically, 16
parameters would've been considered to be extremely generous and forward-looking a few years ago, i.e. when it was chosen ...