Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Priorities, Roles, and the future of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
<blockquote><i> I posted a dedication for this post to Jerry
    because a) I hadn't earlier b) I felt you were not treating him fairly </i></blockquote>
Well ... look, you may not realize it, but there's a coup attempt afoot though Jerry will, of course, shy away from that label.  Yes, I lost my temper with Jerry, but the reason I lost my temper with Jerry is because I don't feel he's been playing straight with the community.
<p>So instead of my getting angry with Jerry, how about I just tell you what he really means, at least until he feels comfortable telling us himself?
<p>I don't think Jerry wants personal control over the project.  However, he does want to transform OpenACS into something that he can build his consulting business on, and his vision as to what needs to happen in order for him to be able to do so isn't congruent with my personal vision of how I'd like to see the OpenACS project and community grow.  He wants to be one of those who control the project, and I'm quite certain would feel most comfortable if the others controlling the project shared his vision as to what this project should be.  Since our visions clash it is hard for me to believe that he'll everfeel comfortable if I'm in a position to make my vision dominant, so I'm certain that he wants my role weakened to the point where it won't be.
<p>I should probably say "our vision" since Ben and I hold such similar views, but as usual I don't feel comfortable speaking for Ben when he's not around to pitch in with comments on his own.
<p>Jerry won't say so directly, but I wish he would.  I don't feel there's anything wrong with Jerry looking at the OpenACS effort as being a business opportunity, just as there's nothing wrong with my motivation being somewhat different.
<p>Ironically, I don't think my vision precludes being able to make a living doing OpenACS work.  Quite the opposite, actually.