Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Sizzle vs. Steak

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
<blockquote><i>Can we agree on 2-3 basic configurations (plus any specific "skins" such as the OpenBugTracker), for the out-of-the-box crowd, so the configuration
    pages I help build can be more focused?

Can we also agree on the page layout and/or structure of these pages so that I what I build will conform with what other people build? </i></blockquote>
I'm not sure, unfortunately.  However, I bet folks would love to see your "mini-HowTos" and some of your configuration scripts.  Seeing how  one person deals with some of these issues could be helpful.
<p>And this stuff might well make it into the OpenACS 4.x release if you're willing to take the time (and have the time available) to work with Roberto, who is organizing documentation.
<p>We might want to think about an "customization wizard", so to speak, that would simplify the process of mounting packages and assigning URLs for the combinations of packages useful for most OpenACS sites.  Perhaps allow some look-and-feel customization, too.  Such tools are mostly "sizzle"-oriented as serious customization is serious work, but could help to expose the flexibility of various features of the toolkit in an approachable, if simplistic, way.