Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Sizzle vs. Steak

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
<blockquote><i>Have my ideas already been
    addressed; i.e. "a library/repository of complete out-of-the-box OpenACS configuration solutions"? </i></blockquote>
Yes and no.  ACES, for instance, can be thought of representing the first entry into such a library/repository, and is getting ported to OpenACS 4.x.  But beyond that example, just the few ideas tossed about  in the beginning of this thread.
<p>Talli ... I look at ACES as being very similar to Slash in the sense you're thinking of, i.e. it rolls out and looks like Sloan Space.  When I mentioned a "configuration wizard" I wasn't really thinking of this as being an idea in competition with the notion of having vertically customized apps built on top of OpenACS ala ACES.
<p> Rather, I was thinking that the acs subsite admin API isn't entirely straightforward and that a newbie wanting to explore the toolkit's flexibility by cobbling together a quick-and-dirty site with a few bboards, groups, maybe some simple portaling could perhaps be led through the process by the hand, without learning very much at all about the structure of the admin pages and UI.
<p>So I think of it as being complementary.
<p>As Nathan points out, putting together a tool that would be even minimally useful might be a big task - I'm just blue-skying.