Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS Marketing & Promotion Project

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If you want to see an example of this in action take a look at PHPNuke and its community.
On the other hand, this is the very first time I've heard about PHPNuke. The word-of-mouth approach hasn't managed to spread the word in my direction. Clearly more publicity of this effort couldn't hurt.

MySQL gained popularity compared to modern Postgres in very large part due to a willingness to toot their own horn, while the PG crew didn't see any reason to and did nothing to evangelize their product.

If people don't want to expend effort evangelizing OpenACS, hey, fine with me - I've got plenty of client work. But I think that the "if you build it they will come" approach is a bit naive. Sometimes it is true, far more often it isn't.

Integrate AolServer/OpenACS with Apache
Now ... doing this is a pure marketing play. There's no technical reason to do so.

Writing technical articles (not simply "marketing collatoral") doesn't force unsound engineering decisions on the project, at least ... you're suggesting we skew our engineering decisions for marketing considerations even if the resulting offering's inferior. I find that unsavory.

As far as the poll request, it looks like we're heading back down the path of suggesting that project direction be set by universal sufferage of site registrants, rather than by the people doing the bulk of the work.

Project direction isn't going to be set by polls or votes of this sort, that's certain.