Forum OpenACS Q&A: Multiple Customers, Marketing Styles

Collapse
Posted by Nathan Bogo on

Ooooo, I can feel the energy; good, very good.

Marketing & Promotion _must_ start with a Customer Target (although I do not like this word). Each of us comes from a different perspective and have differing types of Customers and markets, no? For example, I am selling to both the CEOs of multi-million/billion dollar companies who literally make their decisions while smacking little balls around (and who will never and have never "downloaded"), and to the IT managers who are ultimately accountable for the success of the project implementation. Each Customer (type) has _very_ differing sell/requirement strategies. They are the decision makers; unfortunately, the IT hackers (said with respect), who are the end users, _rarely_ get a say.

I think it is safe to say that even aD had to do some heavy duty selling to the executive decision makers before their customers would ever look at a computer screen; a lot of hand waving, seminars and lectures, even if they never used business cards or brochures. I also think it is important to understand that there are as many ways to "promote and sell" your wares as there are people who sell them and customers to sell. I have landed contracts on as little as a handshake, but most of my clients require tangibles they can touch, feel, and lick. I would venture to say that if one System of marketing worked universally, then we could rid the world of all but one of the 10,000 "How to Market and Sell" books that litter the bookshelves at Borders.

I had not even thought about the ideas Don listed regarding selling to the Press, although I have run across (over?) a few press people in the past and found my materials to be lacking, at best. Steve, I think, is thinking of the end user... if I may... who is likely an IT person; where word-of-mouth is a very powerful selling tool, assuming you are working with "open-minded" IT professionals. (Unfortunately, I work in Michigan, home of Ford, Chevy, Olds, Diamler-Chrysler... and my experience with the IT professionals is that they are Bill Gates wanna-be advocates all the way. I only wish word-of-mouth worked better.)

What I listed, up top, would provide me with a powerful tool base to reach my markets, and I think other's like them for other consultants who offer similar services to similar clients. Am I right? Furfly? OpenForce? help?

I have two critical questions, I think must be answered before we can set the right Marketing direction...

1. Is OpenACS moving the way of a traditional Software Development Company in which they create a product that works out-of-box with numerous vertical applications (skins), and does not require consultants (like me) to implement? A product that targets IT professionals (users) and is so easy to use they simply load and click. If not then...

2. Who is/are the Customer(s) and audiences that our marketing & promotion efforts should target? Tech Press, non-Tech Press, CxOs, IT Heads, IT Gurus, Nonprofit Orgs, Education (many varieties here), etc.? Each type may require a slightly unique approach and collateral support.

If the answer to #1 is YES, then clearly I will have to complete the marketing materials for my services, while OpenACS will tackle the strategies required to promote & sell to the end user. I will simply leverage off the success of OpenACS in the IT world and show my Execs that "company X did it and you should too, for if not ... you will get stomped." Your thoughts?

My hope in the Community was to share ideas of marketing and promotional strategies for OpenACS, to help OpenACS implementor-people (consultants, users, etc.) sell themselves better, cheaper, faster.. Does this step on too many "proprietary toes" or create fears of client stealing? Anyone? -nate