Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS Marketing & Promotion Project

Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
When you starting looking at software like PHPNuke, you are looking at what I think is the second type of slashdot effect.  Since slashdot is popular, software to emulate it will get noticed and used.  Does this mean it should be dismissed, no.  But much of its popularity is based on emulating a popular site and using some popular tools (apache, mysql, php).  Weblogs software of that type is popular now also.  That does give them an advantage in word of mouth, "What does you software do?  We emulate slashdot."  It makes it easier for people to see and understand the software.  Yes, we can point to photo.net for an excellent example, but in terms of developers and web related "mindshare" I believe slashdot is going to have more visability then photo.net.  Whether that is comparing apples and oranges doesn't matter, it is happening.

As we work to get the word out, that is one disadvantage that we have.  Yes we have serveral excellent sites to point to, but they tend not to have the mindshare in the target community (Oh geesh, I've spent too much time with marketing types).  I know I have discussed with a few people before of creating an OpenACS type Sourceforge setup, but due to restrictions the Sourceforge software was used.

Is it time to (while porting to OpenACS 4.x) to start looking at creating a Slashdot/SourceForge/Pick your favorite site clone using OpenACS? to at least have a site comparable to others in the collective mindshare? Maybe so.  I'm currently doing some serious research on the webmail modules (I'm too use to using maildir for webmail and I have to re-think stuff right now) but I'm willing to be a part of such a project, but I also think it would be a bit for one person to do in a timely matter.  I could also be completely wrong :)

But I think in looking why some products/software are seen as being so popular, we also should examine WHY they are seen that way.  At the same time, you have to look at the specific groups are are targeting.