Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS Marketing & Promotion Project

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I guess we are talking about two different people we want to market the ACS to. The end user is happy to download the stuff, test it out, get a feel for it and cry, YES, that's my baby.
On the other hand, if you want to impress compnanies (at least the decision making guys), having a software to test is not going to work (way to busy, these people, checkout http://www.dilbert.com/). You need nice borchures, articles, reviews, tests done by other people. Oh yeah, and be buzzword complient. Well, I think getting OpenACS to be buzzword complient might work with Postgres, but definitly not with AOLServer and TCL. Should we change the platform and move to apache? NO WAY. I mean, why should we settle for a probably technically inferior approach. We just need to learn how to play this game with the small white balls.

I talked to a publisher yesterday. He would be willing to talk to me/us about publishing a book about OpenACS. Someone needs to write it, but getting a book out might be better than having just plain user dokumentation.

Where are all the articles which deal with OpenACS? I don't think everything that has been written around OpenACS can be found at https://openacs.org/press/ or elsewhere on the site. So dig in you harddrive, look for articles which could be used to make the point for OpenACS and post them to the site.

Once OpenACS 4 is in beta we should start building the RPMs and post them to places like zdnet, freshmeat, announce at slashdot and various linux user communities. That way you get users to look at it, editors will see how often the product have been downloaded, get interested, talk to Ben or other people, get even more impressed and write a fancy little article stating OpenACS rules.

If you hear about people making tests for comparison in the area of Knowledge Management, E-Learning, Community Software, E-Commerce shopping solution,... you name it, point them to OpenACS to have a look at the system for evaluation and comparison.

That's all for now, back to my exams.