Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS Marketing & Promotion Project

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Hi Nate!

I think before we undertake any inbound marketing efforts, we really should clarify & agree upon the different classes of "OpenACS Customers", then systematically attack the problem.

But as an example, to research the "Point, Click & it's running" crowd, i'd probably decide what we think the ACS would be useful for (ie, an out-of-the-box weblog, lets say.) Then go over to the communities where those people hang out (http://www.phpnuke.org/ wouldn't be a bad start, as it's the most popular weblog software available.)

Examine what people are asking for, which plug-in modules are popular, etc. Listen closely to the things that people are bitching about because those become areas of important product differentiation.

If you see a person on those discussion groups that looks reasonable, you may even want to ping him directly, and ask him a few questions about why he uses Nuke, and what things he'd like to see in a nuke-like product. Point him to openacs.org. If he recoils in horror, find out why.

Again, before we do this type of thing, I think we all need to agree upon the different classes of OpenACS "customers."

(BTW -- You still in Ann Arbor? we should hit art fair this weekend)