Forum OpenACS Q&A: How to assign users to groups

Collapse
Posted by Max Ott on
This may sound like a very stupid question, but I can't figure out
how to assign users to groups. I read plenty about the /admin/ug
module but that seem to only allow me to add/delete/modify the groups.

I just jumped into ACS last Thursday and having a rough time to find
the right information in what seems a mountain of documentation.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-max

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Hello Max,

the file that adds a member to a group is

admin/ug/member-add.tcl?group_id=1 (for side-wide-admin for example)

go there via /admin > /admin/ug > click on i.e. Administration > click on i.e. Site-Wide-Administration > on the bottom you should see "Group Members" and the link "add a member in a role"

I hope that this is what you are looking for...

Collapse
Posted by Rich Graves on
Also, group administrators (members of the group with role "administrator") will see an "Administration Page" link at
http://your.com/groups/site_wide/

(Where site_wide is the group's short_name. Everyone will have a site_wide group.)

To add someone to your group,

http://your.com/groups/admin/site_wide/member-add?role=member

If the group membership policy is open (or wait), users can add (or nominate) themselves.

The ACES branch of ACS Classic has some pages for listing groups and letting users suggest groups.

Collapse
Posted by Max Ott on
Thanks Guys! That got me started.

I'm still having a hard time getting my head around the whole concept. One annoying issue I have is that my internet browser (IE) regulary shows me a "The page cannot be displayed" warning. Pressing the reload button usually gets me the intended page. I'm running the server on a fairly beefy linux machine, but run it from a login shell via "bin/nsd -ft acs_config.tcl" to see all the error messages.

Is there a performance issue? Would be weired.

Thanks again,

-max

Collapse
Posted by Dayra Munoz on
Now i have a question:

When one member is assign to groups i want that when this user is registered in my application(created with opwnacs4.0 over Linux red hat 7.2 y AOLServer 3.2) appear on form different to the pvt_home (called Workspace users).

Help me with it.  Thanks