Hi,

Did not want to put this on the SDM since I dont know if its a bug or
just someone made a simple mistake.

00-database-procs-oracle.tcl line 10.

I changed:

ad_doc db_compatible_rdbms_p { db_type } {

to:

ad_proc db_compatible_rdbms_p { db_type } {

so that the 00-database...tcl file will be sourced without an error.
This file came from the 8/2/2001 nightly build tar ball.

If you think I should put it in the SDM then I will.  Its just that
for me its too simple of a matter to put it into the SDM.  Maybe
someone on OACS core team can say its not a bug, or it should be
something else.

Jun

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Thanks, I've just committed the change.  'Twas my fault, my fingers got confused because a long time ago the ACS defined procs using "proc_doc".

I'd tried dropping and installing my Postgres installation before committing this change but not the Oracle, since I've been busy.
Thanks for the catch.

BTW we need lots of testing and close inspection of this sort so keep plugging away if you've got the time!  We intend to get more organized  about testing in another week or so, but the more people that try it and the more eyes that read it the better off we'll be.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Sure thing Don.  Glad to help OpenACS.  You can see more stuff around here as I have already decide to use OpenACS 4.x for my project.

What is the best way to sync to your CVS tree?  Since I will doing customization for my project, I need to sync as much as possible on OpenACS which will be updated a lot.

Do I cvs update from OpenACS tree to a directory, then import to my tree?  Is this the best way?  I need to start developing on my project, unfortunately I will be doing it against OpenACS 4.x that has no stable release yet.  Which is ok, I think I can manage that.  I just want to get a good opinion on what are the better paths for my plan.

Also how could I know of major design changes from classic ACS 4.2?  Is the bboard the best resource now?  So atleast I know what to expect and should manage to plan ahead.

Jun

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
bboard's probably the best resource now.  Since we've not released yet, we've not written up any documentation for external users on the changes we've made.

The two major API changes are that acs-notifications is subsumed into an enhanced acs-mail package (rather than support both), and that the "places" package is disappearing, though you can of course use the existing ACS 4.2 version if you want (acs-references, a more general solution towards providing dataset resources, replaces places).

The CR will now allow you to create content in the filesystem as an option (rather than placing all content in the RDBMS).  If you're planning on putting content into the RDBMS nothing has changed.

For the most part our changes have been at a lower-level than packages  care about, which is why ACS Classic packages that don't depend on acs-notifications and places should work out of the box (you can use the existing ACS 4.2 acs-notifications if you need to and aren't willing to switch to the enhanced OpenACS acs-mail package).