Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to New Install Help on RedHat Aug2001

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
You can do static sites under Aolserver if you wish, no need to run Apache for that.

My first pass aolserver-3.3+ad13 RPM is indeed on my site already (well spotted!), but has had near-zero testing so far, and the companion aolserver-nsxml RPM (only needed for OpenACS 4.x) does not incude libxslt functionality.

I am hoping to test the newer aolserver setup a bit more, and create a version in which aolserver-nsxml uses libxslt...I just need to make the time to do so.

If you are already comfortable doing from-source installs, then either source or RPMs will "work" for you. My personal opinion is that if you pick a distribution based on RPM, it makes sense to use RPM for things you add to that machine too, for overall ease of system management.

If you want a halfway approach, there's nothing to stop you grabbing my SRPMs and recompiling them on your machine and then installing from the resulting locally-created binary RPMs. If that makes you feel more 'in control' of the server as a whole, it might be worth considering.

One thing I did notice in my early testing -- the current aD aolserver-3.3+ad13 tarball does not compile/install nsvhr and nsunix modules by default, whereas the older aolserver-3.2+ad12 tarball did. I don't know why that changed. If you are likely to be doing virtual hosting using AOLserver, that might be something to explore a bit further. I'll probably add nsvhr and nsunix back into the next aolserver-3.3+ad13 RPM set I create, unless I find some clear good reason not to do that.

Lastly, there's no reason you couldn't install aolserver-3.2+ad12 initially from RPMs, and upgrade to 3.3+ad13 once I release an official set using that version of the codebase.

On the file location issue... where the files go doesn't affect whether the server works anyway. If you maintain a bunch of servers, all using the aD-style /web/servername hierarchy, it may be that you should stay consistent with that for easier system administration? But if we ever want to see OpenACS RPMs included in a distribution, we can't use /web, it breaks all the rules. I didn't invent the 'new' locations out of thin air, I used the PG RPMs as an example to follow, since Lamar has been doing this kind of work (and had the RPMs included in Red Hat) for longer than I have.

If you need a transition plan for your tech staff (or just for yourself) as you get used to the new location, maybe a symlink:

mkdir /web
  ln -s /var/lib/aolserver/servers/defaultacs /web/server01

or similar would be handy?