Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to New Install Help on RedHat Aug2001

Collapse
Posted by Bob OConnor on

So, Johnathan,

You want the rest of the story...

This setup is on hold until I get a new and improved white box.... This was for a box on my small lan connected to DSL... I want a box to have as a dev box... In the mean time, We are moving Openacs from a 6.2 box to a 7.0 box at a data center... Read more HERE

I took an 2yr old AMD 300Mhz box and tried and tried and tried to install linux 7.1 from cheapbytes.com CD. Many times the install would crash hard... keyboard lockup....and in NO consistent location. So I replaced the CD drive, Did a memory check with an old dos program, checked the hard drive with Steve Gibson's spinrite grc.com program. Everything checks out ok so I'm left with the mother board problem ??? I guess when I have time, I'll put windoz back on this machine... Oh, I did notice an occasional shakyness on the monitor and eliminated the monitor as the source because the onscreen display did NOT shake when the image behind did... THe video card is PART of the motherboard...

BTW... I had to get the freedos version of fdisk to be able to fully removed partitions from the drive and reformat as small dos16 so I could run spinrite... There are probably better tools for linux ....

I finally did get Linux 7.1 installed but it is still not stable and my one try with the RPMs failed... but it's the box not me or you!. LATER........

-Bob

Link Ref: https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0002RI