Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Utility of XSLT?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Henry ... your comment about bboards and their evolution in the ACS has got to be the understatement of the century.
I've just had such a pleasurable couple of days whacking on the ACES general-comments based
one for a client, why oh why did aD throw out that tried-and-true bboard datamodel which was fully capable of dealing with tree-threaded
presentation?  The threaded UI in the traditional bboard module sucked, but layering a new UI over the old datamodel would've been simple (and the ACES threaded bboard UI sucks almost as bad anyway!)

As far as your comments about XML as a datasource, my thinking has been that using ns_xml we should be able to do something like that for
slurping and using data represented in XML.  Why not, eh?  We could fill portlets with stuff from remote sites this way, for instance, since that's already set up to recognize a variety of datasources (tcl
scripts, html, etc).  We'd just need some scripting pieces to pull apart the XML doc and point the hose at the portlet afterwards.

I'm finding this discussion about XLST very enlightening, as I've nover played with it and have really had a hard time coming up with a reason for wanting to.