Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to the dilemma of competition in development of ACS

Disclaimer: In the current climate of the OpenACS-aD relationship, it seems that the both sides are very sensitive. Having been among the, um, voiciferous critics of aD, I feel compelled to qualify all statements with I'M NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT. Torben, I understand your fears, but I'm not sure you need worry. The problems which can conflict and violate the aDPL are when one takes their code and implements concepts or code derived directly from their implementation. If aD can prove that a person took a portion of their system and implemented an exact replica, either in java or otherwise, then that person has violated the aDPL. Of course it goes the other way, too. If aD (or anyone for that matter) takes a piece of GPL code and implements it in their system exactly or in fair copy then they have violated the terms of the GPL and will be visited by black helicopters. So I don't think you really need to worry about it. Just talking about it isn't such a big deal, particularly if its been built somewhere else before. Try as they might, I don't think someone can really patent something like the idea of Bulletin Boards, or selling books on the internet. What would be a problem would be if you were to suggest some modules and you or others come and say, "Well, the way aD did it was ..." and that way was then incorporated directly into the system. That would be a rather obvious violation. The worry that the OpenACS community has is that there may be a gray area in there of something that has been implemented very similarly to the Java version, but not identical. If the person that wrote that code had looked at the aD stuff and aD decided to prosecute they could very well have a case and the OpenACS community would have a hard time defending itself for lack of funds. But the potentially more serious problem is what would happen if, God forbid, the ACS Java license exchanges hands and the inherited entity does not feel this "open source stuff" is in its best interest? By virtue of their inheriting the license, they can prosecute for violation of the aDPL. This is the true fear, not that aD has turned to the darkside. What can happen in the very worst case where something totally unexpected happens? I don't mean to suggest that anyone is going to hell or will be sold out, but this is a real fear for any business in the current climate. The suggestion the gatekeepers have made falls under the "better safe than sorry" argument. If no one developing for openacs looks at ACS Java, than no one need worry. So, your bigger worry, and the openacs community's, is that whatever your ideas are won't conflict with that of your past employer :) talli