Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Prelim Design Doc for Developer.OpenACS.org

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hey guys,

The reason I suggested having a bulletin board per package was in order to have a location for specific answers about each package to be asked. The hope would be that the person with the question would assist in organizing the knowledge that gets lost so often in the bboards.

However, I imagine that experience on the AOLserver lists has proven that this isn't the case. I also admit that often times people post to the most frequented or popular bboard, not necessarily to the most appropriate.

Since the bboards prove to be the most important source of information and full site search is not always the most effective means of getting that info, I suggest that within each package site the package maintainer (or whoever is given appropriate permission) selects threads that are relevant to that package. (Setting up internal links to other parts of the site is trivial.) Then each link gets a short description about why it is relevant for the specific package.

Taking the place of the package bboard in the Package Subsite will be a weblog for each package. The package maintainer, or perhaps team, then uses the weblog to track changes, commits, bugs, etc. Each log entry is enabled with general comments so others can comment on it.

SDM is still an issue, but I imagine it will be solved reasonably soon. Either we'll have an alpha or beta version of SDM available, or the 3.x version will be grokked to work with the 4.x system.

How does this sound?

talli