Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS and LAMP comparison article

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hey all,

I've written a comparison of OpenACS and LAMP that you can all find here.

Thanks go to: Joel Aufrecht, Dave Bauer, Carl Blesius, Cesar Brea, Bruno Mattarollo and Alfred Werner.

Currently the formatting is el crappo. Sorry bout that.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Oh yeah, please comment away.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
Great article Talli. My few comments are below. I must apologise in advance that I am a harsh editor.

I would qualify "but none of them have the track record or the fundamentally sound data model as the OpenACS" with some reasoning. With no information to back up this statement it is simply rhetoric. Same goes for calling other applications data models "idiosyncratic".

In the same section, I would make a bigger deal about the permissioning structre - it is a major asset even to sites whic may use no other features. I also wouldn't use the phrase "cobble together" - no-one wants to think they might get a solution that is cobbled together - especially since you denigrate ad-hoc development in an earlier paragraph.

On a different tack, I would probably mention that Postgresql plays in the Lamp space as well - so that you give the feel that the OpenACS solution is not totally divorced from the lamp world. It might also be mentioning that Tcl is a popular language in its own right, albeit in a different problem space.

All in all a great summary though.

Collapse
Posted by Harish Krishnan on
my 2 cents:
The article is respecting the LAMP space while providing a basis for Openacs. But pitch it against a similar article by a LAMP solution provider. I feel that we might see the basis for quite a few points eroded like the multitiered architecture, multithreading , data model ( depends upon who our clients are). I personally have great respect for openacs datamodel and overall architecture in general but when coming to clients who are concerned whether they have x number of features , stability and scalability in performance , a data model argument may not be up in the list.

IMHO one of the great strengths of Openacs i.e rapid web application development can be emphasised more.

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
The article link is broken. Anyone have a new URL?