Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS at Red Hat?

Collapse
Posted by John Buol on
I noticed several RPMs for Zope at
updates.redhat.com/6.2/en/powertools/i386

Seeing as the OpenACS community is recommending RH 6.2, Red Hat
should reciprocate by making OpenACS RPMs available as well, no?

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
Sounds a nice idea to me, though I'm not sure it is for us to specify what RH "should" be doing...  Michael Tiemann has tried out OpenACS 3.x in the past, so it has at least been heard of within Red Hat.

It's a long term dream of mine that eventually my OpenACS RPMs might be considered good enough to RH to distribute them...

If you'd like to check them out, find/fix bugs, and help me improve them, that would be great!  Or, if you have contacts within Red Hat that would be willing/able to help us move forward towards having Red Hat distribute OpenACS RPMs, talk to me!

I'm thinking that we would need OpenACS 4.x to be released (not alpha or beta) and to have solid RPMs for it, before we can think about asking RH to distribute OpenACS.

BTW, RH no longer seems to be creating 'Powertools' CDs with current releases, so that's not quite the right place to seek to have OpenACS RPMs distributed, I think 😊

Collapse
Posted by Michael Williams on
I have been talking to some people at RedHat about OpenACES in relation to the Open Source Now initiative. I am attempting to get a prototye system up and running at my school district and my website at http://www.k12linux.org.