Forum OpenACS Q&A: Photo Album Questions

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Nelson on
Hello All

I'm brand new to the OpenACS world. I've known about it for years but just recently found a use for it. Currently I use it for the Photo Album and it runs great.

I do have a couple of features I would like to add to my photo album though.

1. Allow users to sign up for notifications when a photo album is modified or added.

2. Allow users to invite other users to join the community by typing in an email and clicking a button.

I don't mind writing code but if the features are allready available I would hate to duplicate the effort. In other words if someone could point me in the correct implementation direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much

//Andy

Collapse
2: Re: Photo Album Questions (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
for notifications, please look at how's done at the faq pkg for a good example, basically you'll define a service-contract:
http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/faq/tcl/apm-callback-procs.tcl?rev=1.1&view=auto
and add the proper link to add notifications:
http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/faq/www/index.tcl?rev=1.6&view=auto

> Allow users to invite other users to join the community by typing in an email and clicking a button.

this sounds good, can you elaborate it a bit more?, since it can be the beginnig of an small & useful service for the acs_objects.

And if you develop something, please feel free to send a patch so someone can review and commit your code.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Roc, not sure, but I guess it is something like the .LRN administrator functionality to add new members, this time though only by giving the e-mail adress and sending out a prefixed invitation like "Hey Dude, check out this cool community" 😊. Once the user clicks on the link, he gives his name and password and is immediately accepted to the community as a registered member.
Collapse
4: Re: Photo Album Questions (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Nelson on
Thanks to all for the quick response. I'm not yet certain exactly how I want to implement the invitation thing. But that is ok because it is going to take me quite a bit to get comfortable coding for the ACS system.

I don't know tcl and it looks like you have quite the framework one needs to learn as well. But I have found documentation and I'm reading away. For now though I will limit my scope and concentrate on the photo album thing.

Again thanks to both for the help. I will post something once I have it all figured out but like I say it might take quite a while.

//Andy

Collapse
5: Re: Photo Album Questions (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I believe there is code to do invites in acs-subsite. Look in yoursite.com/members