Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Help with ad_categorization_widget ad_categorize_row procs

I have done some work on the widget, although I haven't actually used ad_categorize_row. The widget wasn't showing the correct category hierarchy, so I was working on fixing it. I never posted my fix, because I didn't completely resolve the problems. I did manage to get it to display the relationships between categorization and subcategorization levels, although it still doesn't sort them alphabetically.

I changed the code for ad_categorization_widget from this:

# Fetch the entire category hierarchy.
    #
    set selection [ns_db select $db "select c.category_id, lpad(' ', 12*(category_hierarchy_level(c.category_id, NULL, 0) - 1),' ') as indent, c.category, c.category_type
from categories c
 order by category_hierarchy_sortkey(c.category_id, NULL,'')"]
to this:
    # Fetch the entire category hierarchy.
    #
    set selection [ns_db select $db "
    SELECT c.category_id, 
           lpad(' ', 12*(category_hierarchy_level(c.category_id, '', 0) - 1),' ') as indent, 
           c.category, 
           c.category_type
    FROM   categories c,
           category_hierarchy h,
           category_hierarchy h1
    WHERE  c.category_id = h.child_category_id
           AND h1.parent_category_id IS NULL
           AND category_hierarchy_level(h.child_category_id, h1.child_category_id, 0) is not null
    ORDER BY category_type,
             category_hierarchy_sortkey(h.child_category_id, h1.child_category_id, ''),
             category_hierarchy_level(c.category_id, '', 0)"]
My formatting makes it a little more difficult to see, but the changes are

1) In the SELECT statement, changing the "NULL" in the call to category_hierarchy_level.
2) Adding to and changing the order of the ORDER BY statements.

I am still working on getting everything to sort alphabetically, but I believe that will involve creating another PL/PGSQL function.

The "general-links" module uses the categorization widget and the content mapping feature, and it might be a good example for you to start with. It seems to work correctly, so if you add a link with associated categories it will insert it into "site_wide_category_map".