Forum OpenACS Q&A: Error re-starting dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Jon Suen on
Hello all,

I'm having trouble getting dotlrn started back up after running killall nsd, on the restart (in a run script), I get the following error message:

[14/Jan/2005:01:00:55][23719.1024][-main-] Error: prebind: invalid entry: [IP]: Address already in use
server5:/home/tif0# [14/Jan/2005:01:00:55][23720.1024][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: starting to read config file...
[14/Jan/2005:01:00:55][23720.1024][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: finished reading config file.

Where [IP] was the address & port I had previously tried to 'kill'. I check with netstat -a and netstat -lpn to see if anything else is accessing this socket, but all connections seem to be in the CLOSE_WAIT state.

Furthermore, when I tail the error.log I get the a "permission denied" error, again with the same IP and port number.

What can I do now to get the server back up and running... would manually restarting the machine solve this?

I've read that processes in the CLOSE_WAIT state don't die out themselves, so my inclination now would be for a restart, but I don't know if that will solve it (or make things worse).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Jon