Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Where to find a tutorial for customizing OpenACS?

Thanks Gilbert,

I'm glad that someone did answer 😉.

<blockquote> 1) If the background picture never changes, then you can probably keep the picture in the /web/openacs-4/www/ directory and reference it directly in the default-master.adp file. Otherwise, you can probably stuff it into the content repository.
</blockquote>

I did change the default-master.tcl and that worked. But first I'm worried about how to handle updates from OpenACS if I do a lot of changes to the standard files. Second, there are two variables in the default-master.adp file: prefer_text_only_p, which I assume is 'f', and ad_graphics_site_available_p (== GraphicSiteAvailableP parameter). If these last two are 'f'and 't', I'm possitive that I would get a background picture, but I can't figure out how to set the last one.

I am afraid, I haven't gotten to the point where I understand your remark on the content repository 😟.

<blockquote> 2) Assuming that you read the basic documentation about permission, ACS 4.0 Permissions Tediously Explained is good at filling in the details.
</blockquote>

Great I will have another look at that.

<blockquote> 3) You can check to see if you are the site admin (ad_permission_p -3 admin). I think -3 is the default_context. I could be wrong. Anyway, in your adp template, you can put a if statement around the HTML code that shows you the original page so that only the site admin can see it.
</blockquote>

Well, I found the ad_permission_p function and using this and setting a variable (admin_p) to true/false whether this function returns admin, I can use this variable in the .adp file. Is this the correct way?

<blockquote> 4) Edit the default-master.adp file. That changes the site wide look.
</blockquote>

Yes, it does (except for some few pages like errors).

<blockquote> 5) I have no idea. I use vi to write HTML code 😊
</blockquote>

Any idea of where to go looking for answers? (I do like writing the HTML code directly too :=), but some 'ignorants' don't seem to like this.

<blockquote> 6) You can compile and activate nscgi. I think someone wrote up some info about nscgi. I don't know where it is.
</blockquote>

Sounds possible, but again where/how do I reference these things from the system without having to worry about OpenACS updates??

I guess one of my main concerns is how to customize my site and still being able to get updates from OpenACS.

Thanks for clarifying things even more,