Forum OpenACS Q&A: What OpenACS has accomplished in the last year

I'm surprised at how much we've actually done during this last year:

• We released 9 versions of OpenACS, beginning with the first release of OpenACS 5.0, all the way to OpenACS 5.1.4

• Major changes and improvements to the toolkit, including:

• internationalization
    • automated testing
    • rapid development of tables (list-builder)
    • external authentication
    • support for Oracle 9i
    • improvements to automated testing

• We've put in place (well, this is largely Joel's doing, I believe) a rigorous new release process for packages and for core. It took a while for it to start being used, but not packages are being released fairly frequently, and communities are starting to grow around particular packages.

• The installation process isn't much better than it used to be, but people are starting to work on it. The documentation is also very high quality, much better than it used to be.

• Registrations for the site are WAY up, better than they've been at any time since the inception of the project. I think we're finally starting to market ourselves better.

• We finally got the website onto OpenACS 5.x, thanks to Joel and Malte.

Anything I missed?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
The installation process is quite a bit better than it used to be - it's now down to a single form, and each openacs site is wholly contained in a single directory instead of being split into two or more. The installation of the prerequisites is not much better, but the debian packaging work may fix that. Peter Marklund was largely responsible for the improvements in the installation, and also for the automated installer that makes automated testing much easier.

Dave Bauer has an equal or greater share of the credit for the OpenACS.org upgrade.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
All I can say is, thanks to the people who contributed to OACS. There are also small improvements, here and there. But these small improvements made a big difference.

Great work and thank you to OACS contributors!