Forum OpenACS Development: Clarification on CVS rules

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I'm a little bit confused about the CVS rules at https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/using-cvs-with-openacs.html and the rules that have been in place de facto.

I understand from the guidelines that *all* non-core packages that do not depend on features in HEAD have to be committed in the current released branch (e.g. oacs-5-1), regardless if they are new or they are based on already existing modules.

De facto most *new* non-core modules are developed in HEAD despite the fact that they work perfectly fine with oacs-5-1 and got tagged with the openacs-5-1-compat tag.

What is the rule here? If packages are committed to oacs-5-1 if they work with oacs-5-1, why do we have an openacs-5-1-compat tag?

Furthermore I think we said that all packages that have some I18N and are available for both databases go into /packages instead of /contrib/packages (in other words Maturity of at least 2?). Then I guess the decision was to get rid of contrib and only use packages.

De facto we have active code development in /contrib. What is the rule regarding /contrib/packages and /packages, when is a package allowed to be submitted into /packages ?

Could people (Joel) clarify this please, I'm confused.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Malte, there is a section in those docs that describes what to do with contrib packages (they're to be moved over following the docs there).

I'll leave the other questions for Joel.