Forum OpenACS Development: Checking in files to a CVS repository from the web

For my day job, I'm looking at creating an IP repository for design
data (Verilog/VHDL files, test vectors, and expected results -
electrical engineering world). CVS will provide the version control.
One of our requirements is to have a web based checkin and checkout
process. The SDM code repository gives a good way to browse and to
download files from the web, but it doesn't have a way to allow users
to checkin files.

Are there plans to bring the SDM to OpenACS 4? If so, are there any
plans to enhance the SDM to provide these features?

Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the File Manager (built by aD as a way to
upload client's files for CMS and other things) could optionally
use CVS versioning.  You may want to dig up the code and see if
it is useful for you and maybe SDM.  Not sure where it resides in
Tcl form.  Probably in the CMS code somewhere.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check out the file manager.  The CVS hooks exist in the version-control package.  However, I don't see the SDM package in the CVS repository.  I could probably work from the OpenACS 3.x SDM code...
I just installed Version Control and File Manager on OpenACS 4. You can install the two packages directly from the APM, using the following URLs:
  • http://www.arsdigita.com/acs-repository/download/apm/file-manager-4.0.apm
  • http://www.arsdigita.com/acs-repository/download/apm/version-control-4.0.apm
There's just one problem using these packages on OpenACS 4: after loading the package in the APM, go to the apm-workspace/install directory and edit the two .info files. You need to add "postgresql" inside the tag. Otherwise the APM will refuse to install the packages. This is a red herring since neither package makes any use of the database, but oh well.

Also, after you get them installed, make sure that you modify both sets of package parameters to specify the correct locations of utility programs on your unix system.

Thanks Luke.  I downloaded the latest code from the CVS repository.

Don - Is there a reason that the SDM was not included in the OpenACS 4.0 CVS repository?  I downloaded the code from Arsdigita (SDM version 0.3).  I think that code still falls under the original GPL code.  Anyway, I started porting that package to see if the SDM will meet my needs.  Anyway, the data model loads correctly and I'm running through the tcl procs and the user pages right now.  Do we want to include the SDM package into the CVS repository?

Thanks.

We haven't decided whether to start with the partial (and not well-integrated) aD SDM 4.x port or to move our latest version of the SDM over.  The two have suffered from genetic drift, so to speak, and thus far no one's had time to make a definitive evalutation.

So it's not in our CVS tree at the moment - I don't know which I want to
put there yet.

Luke - the assumption that a package with no DB support is Oracle-specific is an artifact of my efforts to support legacy aD packages - if the APM doesn't know what db's supported, it assumes it's a legacy package and loads it for Oracle only.  I need to make this code smarter but my first priority originally was to make it possible to load legacy packages into our OpenACS Oracle framework.