Forum OpenACS Q&A: Notifications/Forums and Postfix not working

Hi,

I'm having problems with email notifications for forum postings in dotlrn 2.1.1. The MTA that we are using is Postfix, and has been configured to deliver email forum replies to a Maildir that dotlrn scans.

The email messages are being queued in the "notifications" table, but are not being sent.

I have dotlrn 1.0 running on the same server on a different port, and the email forum notifications works on that dotlrn instance. I'm wondering if there is a bug with the latest version of dotlrn. Is anybody else experiencing this same problem?

Nick.

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Has anyone managed to get a working version of dotlrn 2.1.1 to handle forum replies via email?

I'm not sure if I've discovered a bug or I have just misconfigured something, but forum replies are being inconsistently handled with dotlrn 2.1.1. Forum replies are sometimes posted when sent by email, othertimes they are not posted. Those that get posted send out an email notification on a daily basis to those that have subscribed to a forum. That is the same email posting gets sent out daily, so it looks like the notifications queue isn't being cleared.

Collapse
Posted by Walter McGinnis on
If you haven't already I would make "debug = 1" in your config file and watch as the notifications in tcl/notification-email-procs.tcl runs load_qmail_mail_queue process. This will make your log huge, but that proc is pretty verbose about diagnostic warnings when debugging is on.
Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Sorry forgot to follow up on this error. Turned out to be a campus wide network failure that inconveniently occurred when I setup email forum replies. It works now without any mods.